- Admit you have a yield problem, or maybe it’s a denial problem. If you don’t yield to temptation, good for you, but if you don’t yield in traffic then it might be a denial issue. If you do yield to temptation, among other things, then you know how to yield when it’s seemingly convenient to do so.
- Look up the meaning of the word yield. One meaning: surrender. On the roads it means: to slow down or stop in order to let another vehicle pass. This is pretty straight forward, unlike how it is supposed to look on the roads.
- Learn the meaning of the word.
- That Yield sign means you, yes you. Yield. Surrender. We know you are in a hurry and your destination is more important than ours. We know all that. We also know that your approach to driving is similar to life of old on the open range, but guess what, we have cars now, and there’s a lot more people, and occasionally there are rules on how to safely operate a vehicle with others present.
- Practice executing the act of yielding. Exercises: Start by looking up and down the street before barreling out of your driveway. Simply let a woman,child, or elder walk into anywhere before you. Wait your turn when there’s a lane drop. Try not to start a demolition derby in a crowded parking lot. Let a group play through when you’re holding them on the links. Stop on a ramp if you have to, that’s okay; because we are not supposed to stop on the highway.
- Ask someone to objectively rate your new-found ability to yield even if it’s still a work in progress. If you want to improve something (and we all want you to improve), then you must measure it.
- Roll out the new you. The yielding version of you, so that when we pass by without incident, we simply note, that’s how it’s done.
- If you can’t grasp this and your entrance into rotaries and highways generate more gestures than a class in sign language, return to step one.
Over on Instagram
No Instagram images were found.
In the Spotlight
Worth 1,000 Words
In the Wild
Writing Topics on this Blog
Looking for Something?
- 76,920 hits
Top Posts & Pages
1inawesomewonder by Steve Beal Sr, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at 1inawesomewonder.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at 1inawesomewonder.com.
June 2021 S M T W T F S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
What I am reading in Goodreads